- Zachary is doing better... still on a respirator, but they are talking about the possibility of him being taken off of it as early as tomorrow! Yeah Zach!
- Alex is right in the thick of it... I tear up when I look at him, cause he looks the most sedated and lifeless out of the three of them. He is at the hardest part of his fight against the virus. Hopefully he doesn't get pneumonia like Zach did.
- Riley has had 3 rapid RSV tests done on him... all three of which came back negative so they moved him to the "floor" (meaning the pediatric floor). Where babies go when they are not seriously sick. I had a bad feeling about this, because Riley was showing all the tell tale signs that his brothers showed at the beginning of their sicknesses. Earlier this week they told me that they were going to send Riley home on Wednesday. I told them that they weren't sending him any where unless they tested him again, and this time do the longer test. All along they have been doing the rapid version which has a larger margin for error. It can have a false negative! Well, yesterday I talked to Riley's doctor on the floor and she said that she thinks he doesn't have RSV. She thinks he "just has another virus that can be treated at home," she obviously wasn't very good at listening, so I had to be frank with her. I said, "I will not take him home only to have to turn around in a day and do the whole ER, intibation and Ambulance Transport back to Legacy! I know he has RSV... he is Lethargic, he has spells (oxygen saturation dropping, and heart rate going up too high) His lips turned blue and his face grey when I was feeding him today, and he has a cough and mucus in his nasal passages. You guys have just got to trust my instinct as a mom, I don't care what the test says, he has what his brothers have." She finally took me seriously I guess, cause she ordered the test that is more accurate, and also ran more blood work on him. This morning Rex went over to the hospital for "Rounds" (all the staff that works with the boys meet at their room every morning to discuss the game plan for that day~ they did the same thing at the NICU in Salem). After rounds for Alex and Zach in the PICU (Pediatric Intensive Care Unit) Rex went over to the Pediatric floor to get the over night update on Riley. The test results were back and Riley is POSITIVE for RSV! Here we are saying "I TOLD YOU SO!!!"
So I am greatly relieved that all three boys will be treated well.









Your blog cut off the last part so I'm not sure what exactly happened.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear Rily has RSV sheesh.....those tiny little boys really want to be here, they are true fighters of the cause.
I would strongly suggest you hold off on their blessings until they are home and healthy for a while. They are too little and subseptible to be around a large group of people. Sorry to preach to you about this but I really worry about their health and that is the most important thing right now is getting them strong and healthy. However, we will be there no matter what you decide.
I bet you are totally exhausted with your emotions all over the board not knowing from moment to moment what is happening next. Insist they stay in the hospital until they are at least 5 lbs. That used to be the rule of thumb but now a days the Drs. just want to rush everyone in and out ---- don't let them do that to these little boys.
I bet you were happy to see Madisen and Seth again, I know they were really missing their mommy & daddy.
If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.
Meanwhile my thoughts and prayers are with your family.
What a scary thing you are going through with these sweet boys. I am so sorry to hear this! I will continue to keep them in my prayers. My heart goes out to your family.
ReplyDeleteWow, what a crazy few weeks you have been through. I am glad to hear you got firm with them and made them do the other test on Riley. I hope all the boys get better soon. Sorry to hear they are sick. Make sure you take extra time with your other kids though, so they know you still love them. I hope you all get to go home soon. Let us know if you need anything, we aren't very far from the hospital.
ReplyDeleteWay to go on mother instinct! And for standing up for yourself and your little boy. I know doctors usually mean well, but sometimes it can feel like they treat you as a number and try to get you out to move on to the next person. I love that you said something. And thank goodness you did!
ReplyDeleteGlad the boys are getting the help they need. You are all in our prayers.
I'm so glad you've written on the blog!!!!!! You were right all along about Riley. You called it last Thursday and Friday. We'll be up tomorrow to see the boys and relieve you from the older children for a spell.
ReplyDeleteMom
I am so sorry to hear the boys are back in the hospital and struggling. That is such a scary thing.
ReplyDeleteYou are all in my prayers, You are a strong person and I know you will make it and be that strong will that the boys need. Take care and keep us updated as you can.
You go momma! I'm glad you stuck to your guns with those doctors. We are praying for those babies. I have Ayden, my 2 year old praying for each baby individually when we say our prayers at night. God is good and He is going to take care of those sweet baby boys. I hope Seth and Madison are doing better too!
ReplyDelete