Blog Visitors

Seth

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Madison

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Triplets

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Rex and Aleece

Rex and Aleece
Never too old to know how to have fun!

Seth and Madison

Seth and Madison

Madison gave Seth a black eye... "Opps, did I do that?"

Daddy's Back Home!!!

The Triplets 2.5 years old

The Triplets 2.5 years old
"Hey, mom! Fireworks are pretty cool, just don't take away my fingers!"

Zachary

Zachary
"Watching fireworks make me nervous"!

Riley

Riley
"It makes me sleepy... I want my mommy!""

The Day We Found Out: TRIPLETS!

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Perinatologist (High Risk Pregnancy Doctor) 19 weeks 5 days

So there is a really long story for the things that have happen just out side of one week ago, and I am not going to be able to catch you all up. However, I will try to cover the basics. Doctor Bowen is my OB/GYN (he delivered Seth). He has refered me to a Perinatologist from Portland named Dr. Watson. A Perinatologist is basically a high risk pregnancy doctor. He deals with multiple birth pregnancies, and complicated singleton pregnancies. We went in on Thursday to get an ultrasound from Dr Watson's office. They spent three hours checking measurements for each baby, fluid levels, and the condition of my uterus and cervix.

Here were the things determined:
  • Two of the babies (A and C) are identical. Baby B we won't know for sure until birth.
  • Because Babies A and C share a placenta that would typically mean that on baby would be smaller than the other- due to inceficiant blood flow to one baby. However, they said all three of our babies are measuring the same size!
  • Typically with mutiples the babies don't grow as well as a singleton baby (one baby with a womb all to it's self) and their gestational size is smaller than that of a singleton. However, with our babies, all three of them are measuring at 19 weeks the same gestational size as a singleton at 19 weeks. Brings all new meaning to us saying we are having babies to the 3rd power! No wonder I am so large already! lol
  • Dr Watson said that all three babies apear to have functioning organs, and to be healthy.
  • When it comes to the Cervix he said that it needs to be within 3-5 centimeters thick, and mine is easily 4.7 centimeters. (That means less chance of a few contractions causing me to go into imediate delivery)
  • They reconfirmed that all three babies are boys! I am way excited about that. I always wanted to have alot of boys (not all at once, but we will roll with it!
Dr. Watson then told us that in all his years working with multiple births he has never seen a better scenario than ours. He said with the boys measuring well, and all the other factors of my health and my cervix that he would personally back up that we have over a 90% chance of all three babies making it to 32 weeks gestation. Now I don't know who all knows that much about the weeks involved in gestation, but a typical singleton gestation would be 40 weeks. For twins that gestation is around 36 weeks, and for triplets it drops to about 32 weeks. So that was optimistic. He said, "I want to add though, that if you are faithful in keeping the rules I have set up for you, you could make it to 36 weeks, which means a better chance of taking the babies home right away, instead of leaving them at the hospital." So our goal is 36 weeks!
The rules are:
  • No lifting
  • Minimal standing
  • Frequent resting
  • Nothing that would strain my back or stomach muscles
  • No Sex (none, nadda, zilch!)
  • Eat well
  • Listen to my body
  • Lay down when getting contraction
  • Lay down if I get light headed or tired
  • NO STRESS!!! (He said stress would undo all the good things I am doing up above)
So we have a long road ahead of us! I will start a diary after this point to keep you all in the loop.

No comments:

Post a Comment